Chicken Afghan Karahi Recipe

Afghani Chicken Karahi

It's not everyday that we cook traditional food so you may find some odd recipes here. Odd in the sense they are not kokni recipes, as the blog title suggests. So, here is one such recipe - Afghani Karahi Chicken. The recipe was shared in a Facebook group and it was looking so tempting that I just couldn't ignore the post but digged through the comments to find recipe and saved it. Today I thought let's try that chicken recipe instead of making zinger burgers (that's what was the plan for tonight) so I asked everyone if they're ok with the change in menu and they all were like, "okay, no problem." So I just went ahead with the recipe. Firstly I gathered the three spices for making special Afghani Karahi Masala once the masala was done I stored some as I  made extra masala powder by using 3x quantity of spices because it was smelling so good and I sensed that  the recipe is gonna be a keeper and I'd might want to make it for a dawat dinner which is scheduled 2 days later (in sha Allah). After doing the masala I had to clean and wash chicken once again as I needed curry pieces for this recipe and I was supposed to make zinger burgers with boneless chicken fillets but then I marinated the fillets and kept them in freezer for later use and started working on this recipe of Afghan Chicken Karahi. Anyway, I was able to present the dish at dinner table on time alhamdulillah.

So here it is,

AFGHANI CHICKEN KARAHI RECIPE

Ingredients:
1 Kg Chicken
2 Chopped Onions
4 Chopped Tomatoes
1/4th Cup Oil
2 Tablespoons Ginger Garlic Paste
3-4 Green Chilies
1/2 Teaspoon Salt (or as per taste)
1/4th Teaspoon Chili Flakes
1/8th Teaspoon (or a pinch of) Turmeric Powder

For Special Masala:
1 Tablespoon Black Pepper Corns
1 Tablespoon Cumin Seeds
1 Tablespoon Coriander 
(Roast them well on medium low flame on a cast iron griddle, let them cool down to room temperature and then grind coarsely. Your special masala is ready)

Directions:

1. Heat oil in a skillet and fry chopped chopped onions till light golden brown then add washed chicken pieces and cook on high flame for 5 minutes.

2. Add ginger garlic paste, chopped tomatoes, green chilies and one tablespoon special masala. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.

3. Sprinkle salt, turmeric powder, chili flakes and cook with stirring occasionally till oil starts to separate.

4. You can garnish the dish with 1/2 teaspoon of special masala, green chilies, chopped ginger and fresh coriander leaves. (I had no time to decorate the dish :P)




4 comments:

Featured post

Sheerkhurma | Doodh Sev

Imagine Eid morning at your home.. can you smell sheerkhurma already? :D In kokan and I think in many parts of the subcontinent, Sheerkhur...